Is there any hope for my severe acne scars? (Photo)

I had an excision 8 months ago, I really think it was a failure but my doctor don't wanna admit it. It left me with a big and long saucer scar, the other one just turned into a big hole. There's also hyperpigmentation as you can see in the pic. Is there anything you can suggest to fix this? and how much improvement can i expect? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 4

Acne scars- fillers, subcision and fractional energy.

The video reference below explains a lot. You will need multiple sessions over months to achieve the best results. 

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.
All the best,
Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

This type of scarring needs a series of combination treatments for improvement, you will never have cure but can get significant improvement over time with lasers, surgical excisions, subcision, fillers.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Acne scars

You may want to consider fractional CO2 laser resurfacing, TCA cross, and/or saline subscission.  What kind of doctor are you seeing.  Make sure you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in treating acne scars.  Good luck!

M. David Cole, MD, FAAD
Newport Beach Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Severe Acne Scars

I am sorry for your experience with this surgical experience.  You have severe acne and the results will not be perfect skin but through a combination of fillers and lasers such as eMatrix you can have significant improvement.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.