How Can I Significantly Reduce the Appearance of my Facial Scar?

I am in my early thirties. When I was 25 years old I was cut in my face by an attacker. I was clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ever since my traumatic incident I have never been the same. I try to be strong and hold my head high, but then theres reality and life. Im always reminded of my attack because It left a ugly long scar across my face. The first thing people see when they meet you is your face. I wish my scar would disappear. What can I do? I am very stressed by it still.

Doctor Answers 2

Scar Treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Let me just start by saying that I am very sorry for your traumatic incident and the emotional and physical pain it has caused you.  There are many treatments for facial scars including fillers, laser, electrosurgery, microdermabrasion, chemical peeling and topical scar treatments, and often the appropriate treatment(s) depends on the type and nature of the scar. Unfortunately, it is difficult to answer this question without having an idea of what the scar looks like.  However, I am confident that in the hands of a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced in treating facial scars, you will get an excellent result. Click on the link  below to view before and after photos of different types of scars treated with filler and/or electrosurgery for resurfacing. 

Boca Raton Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Fixing a scar on the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many good options, including laser, IIT, and surgery, to fix facial scars.  I advise patients on the most suitable options during a consultation.  There is hope.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.