Will a q-switch laser work well with this sun spot? I have had it for years and am sick of it. Desperate to get it off. (Photo)

My derma said she could zap my sun spots and thinks it would only take one treatment with q switch yag laser and would cost $500. I've heard some horror stories of the pigment coming back darker, or becoming white or pink and I don't want it to be worse.. She didn't offer any before or after pics, the mtg was very quick probably because she does this all the time. I can't help but feel nervous. Any reason I shouldn't just do it? Am I being paranoid?

Correcting Sun Damage

We would probably recommend an IPL PhotoFacial or PicoSure Laser with the FOCUS lens array to treat hyperpigmentation.  We warn our patients that their skin may be come blotchy and pigment may appear darker for the next 3-5 days, although in rare cases it may last up to 2 weeks. 

The PicoFOCUS gently delivers bursts of energy deep in the dermis without causing harm to the overlaying skin.  The pulses work to break up pigment and stimulates new collagen and elastin production.  Your body’s own healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and ramps up skin turnover.  Some pigment will actually travel to the surface making it initially appear darker.  We normally recommend a series of 4 treatments; 1 every 4 weeks.  Do not be concerned if your pigment goes away and then comes back within days to weeks; pigment is usually multiple layers deep and clears layer by layer.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.

Fort Worth Physician

Sun Spot Solutions--Q Switch Versus Fraxel Lasers

I like to use fraxel lasers for sunspots. It may take a series of treatments to see improvement. Individual spots can be treated with q switch lasers at the same time and combination aesthetician services.  I recommend getting a formal evaluation with an expert in lasers. Best, Dr. Emer