Best treatment for shallow acne scarring? (Photo)

I'm wondering what the best treatment would be for my type of acne scarring? I had a microneedling treatment in April, which resulted in more scarring from a cold sore outbreak (wasn't made aware of that side effect beforehand). I've gone to a few consultations with different skin centers since then, but there seems to be so many different methods and I'm not sure which is right for me. I do have very sensitive skin and a tendency to freckle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Filler, BOTOX, lasers, microneedling for acne scars.

If you are after a now downtime procedure, BOTOX to your forehead will improve these scars by 40%- they relax the muscles that tether the scars. If you want a long term solution, sure, a combination treatment of subcsion, microneedling and lasers will help. You also have atrophic scars on your cheek- so dermal filler, Bellafill in the US, or Juvederm in Australia. YOUTUBE video below explains things. Dr Davin Lim

Brisbane Dermatologist

Shallow acne scars

I have found Fraxel dual laser to be very effective for shallow acne scars. It would require a series of sessions, typically 3 or more done at intervals of 2-4 weeks each. Expect 60 - 70% improvement. In patients with very light Caucasoid skin, fraxel C02 laser is very effective. This carries the advantage of requiring a single treatment. The downtime is however more involved.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scarring -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2/Erbium, VIVA, Intensif); Microneedling/PRP, Fillers (Bellafill); Subcision; Punch Excision

A combination approach is always best for acne scarring. I suggest you see an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Best treatment for acne scarring

Thank you for your question. If you are prone to cold sores, microneedling or any type of laser can also trigger an outbreak. There are different medications that can be taken before you start your treatments to help with outbreaks. You will get different opinions on what is best as there are many different treatments and lasers to treat acne scarring. I would recommend you research the different treatments that have been suggested for you. They vary in healing time, price and your skin type.Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Acne Scarring

Thank you for your question and photos.  There really isn't a single best treatment for acne scarring as it's not really a one size fits all.  Usually I use a combination approach-resurfacing lasers, PRP, microneedling, subcision and chemical peels.  My recommendation is to see a board-certified dermatologist who can evaluate you and develop a treatment plan for you.
Good Luck!Dr. Shah

Sejal Shah, MD

Acne scar treatment in darker skin type

I'm a big advocate of using the Infini for acne scars. It is a microneedling device that has radiofrequency attached. I would preventatively treat you for cold sores with Valtrex. Usually about 3 are needed. Lasers are not as effective and can cause hyperpigmentation. Microneedling alone is effective but 10 or more are needed. Other additional treatments might be PRP, Bellafill, and subcision.

Steven F. Weiner, MD