What is the best treatment for moderate ice pick scarring caused by acne on cheeks? (Photo)

Hi, thank you for taking your time in reading my post. I have mild to moderate ice pick scarring on both cheeks a couple years ago. My acne now is under controlled but the indents really bother me. It looks more apparent out in sunlight, please advise the best method for my skin. Thank you!

Ematrix

For Olive toned patients I prefer to use Ematrix because it has a low potential for hyperpigmentation post procedure. The Ematrix system uses Sublative RF- fractioned bi-polar radio frequency technology to effectively place heat energy into the dermis. Heating the dermis will stimulate your body to create collagen “filling” in the indented scars.

It takes healthy collagen about 6 months to form, so scar improvement is not immediate. The Ematrix treatments can improve your concerns with a series of treatments done one month apart.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see if this treatment is best for you and how many sessions you will need.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Moderate acne scarring

The two best treatments for moderate acne scars is the Fraxel laser and eMatrix.  The decision on which laser to use depends on skin type.  For facial scarring such as yours it will take several treatments spaced about one month apart for the best results.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with lasers and scarring for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD

Profractional Laser Resurfacing for Acne Scars

Hi FG.  We would use Profractional Laser Resurfacing (Sciton) for your acne scars.  While not severe, the best results for indented acne scars like yours are with an ablative (downtime required) procedure.  

The typical patient would have the procedure between 1-3 times spaced 4-8 weeks apart and with 5-7 days of recovery each time.  

Check the link below for examples of before and after photos for acne scar resurfacing in orange County, CA.   Thanks.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD