What is going on with my skin and how do I treat it? (Photos)

Active acne breakouts

Hi seen your pic .It is active inflammatory acne which needs treatment with topical and oral antibiotics and once when infection subsides a combined modality of treatment with topical retinoids and chemical peel done in sessions will help to achieve optimal results.however do consult a board certified dermatologist prior to treatment 

Acne Breakouts

Thank you for your question. There could be a number of reasons that may be causing your acne breakouts. It may be due to something you are eating, possibly the products you are using or even medication/birth control you may be taking. If you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist they can look further into it and even help customize a skin care routine and product type for your skin. There is also a new laser therapy alternative which is the first to treat acne breakouts. It is called the LightPod Neo Aerolase Laser. Aerolase is a laser technology that is FDA approved for acne treatment. Many patients have seen results immediately after one treatment and further improvement with continuing treatment. It reduces the severity of current and future breakouts. The laser penetrates deeply into the skin where heat is generated around the sebaceous glands. The heat damages or destroys the bacteria that have caused your breakouts. It also helps reduce the inflammation. If you are interested please schedule an in-person consultation with a qualified dermatologist.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

You are dealing with inflammatory and nodulocystic acne

Thank you for your question and helpful photos. It looks like you are dealing with inflammatory and nodulocystic acne. In your case, I recommend treatment with a combination of topical medications (benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics, retinoids) and oral antibiotics. If you notice a worsening of your acne around your period, a birth control pill or spironolactone may be helpful as well. If you are already on these medications and are not seeing any improvement, you may be a candidate for isotretinoin (accutane).

If interested in any of these treatments, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist for a formal evaluation as everything listed above requires a prescription.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon