What can I do about my skin? (photos)

My skin has been flawless my whole life... Now it looks leathery from the what appears to be acne that has wrecked havoc on my skin. It's been a year and now matter how much I tone moisterize exfoliate... The whiteheads keep coming and the red hard bumps still make their way through. I know have a strange dent on the top of my nose and I don't know if there is any way I can fix the small scar.

Acne and Scars

I would want you to be treated correctly for your acne.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist to plan the best treatment for your acne.  Once it is under control you may benefit form Microneedling, or lasers such as V-Beam, Fraxel, Clear and Brilliant or eMatrix to improve the tone and texture.  Best, Dr. Green

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

My patients love clear and brilliant with microneedling when younger to help the skin improve.  I suggest you get a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist for skin care, laser, microneedling combination recommendations.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Active acne and acne scarring

Whenever someone is in a situation of having active acne and acne scars, I like to treat active acne with an aggressive skin regime. We try to control as much of it as possible and then work on the acne scars. We then use a 5-7 step process that entails working on all layers of the skin. Acne affects all the layers of the skin and you have to address each one. 

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Onset of acne later in life

This is a fairly common problem. Please see a dermatologist to help you with this. Usually topical medication can help including Retin A and benzyl peroxide. I sometimes use lasers to help as well. Scarring can be improved with Excel V, VBeam, of the Infini. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Active Acne and scars. Englewood Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, you should be seen by an acne scar expert. It will be important to clear the active acne prior to treating the scars. Once the active acne has improved, a plan to treat the acne scars is possible. Look for someone who will show you photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon