Procedure for Stretchmarks and Extra Skin After Pregnancy?

I have had 2 kids, I am very young 27 years old and my stomach looks horrible. After the birth of my first child 7 years ago, my body bounced back with stretch marks. After the second one, I have more stretch marks as well as alot of extra skin on my belly.

It's horrible. What are the recommendations for me? Will I always have stretch marks even if I had surgery?

Doctor Answers 2

STretch Marks on Abdomen Post Pregnancy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately stretch marks cannot be removed by any non-surgical method. The only way they can be removed is through surgery. Stretch marks are caused because the skin is stretched beyond its capacity to recoil. Its like a rubber band that is over stretched and can never regain its original shortened length. Any laser that claims to tighten skin has not addressed the basic physiologic problem which is a dermis that is overstretched. The laser will however help the coloration but the stretch marks themselves will persist. You have to ask yourself if the goal is stretch mark removal or if its the discoloration that bothers you. Your best option is to have  tummy tuck. Any stretch marks above the umbilicus will likely not be removed even with a tummy tuck. To Know for sure visit with a plastic surgeon.

Tummy tuck is the procedure of choice

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The only radical treatment of stretch marks is surgical excision. If you enough skin ,a tummy tuck is the best possible procedure. All stretch marks below the belly button could be removed, some of the high marks might still be there. In general you wil have a major change in the look of your tummy. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.