25 yr old female, over the past 4 months painful, cystic acne has suddenly developed around my cheeks. What should I do? (photo)

I had acne as a teen that I was able to treat by using the birth control pill Yaz. My skin was kept under control with a rare pimple or two around my menstrual cycle and right after I turned 25, painful acne developed around my cheeks. Some are superficial, but some are cystic and no amount of washing/exfoliating/toner/spot treatments are doing anything to subdue or even heal the breakouts. What should I do?

Doctor Answers 2

Painful cystic acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most likely a dermatologist will recommend Accutane. If you decide not to do this, I would use lasers and chemical peels to treat this. Oral antibiotics will help as well.

Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 53 reviews

Painful Cystic Acne...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  It is best that you follow up with a board certified Dermatologist as you likely need Isotretinoin (Accutane), but may be able to start on topical retinoids and oral antibiotics in conjunction with oral contraceptive pills.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.