Plastic Surgery for Stiff Lump on Lower Lip Down to Chin?

Due to a recent car crash, I had a stiff lump on part of my lower lip down to the chin. It makes speaking, eating, and drinking a bit difficult without dripping some water out. There were about 7 stitches (already removed) around that area, inside and outside my mouth. How can I rectify this? Does it require plastic surgery? I've just been rubbing vitamin E oil to that area so no effect just yet. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 1

Hypertorphic scar of face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You may want to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation to determine if there are surgical options for correction but it is most likely that the scar will soften with time. Unfortunately this may take a minimum of 4-6 months. If you have excessive scar tissue, steroid injections may be beneficial as well as topical silicone formulations. However, massage and time are most likely to result in the best outcome.

Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.