Is it advisable to combine an overnight peel with a lotion that helps with discoloration?

I am dark skinned and I have discoloration of my skin due to acne. I am thinking of combining a discoloration cream containing spf and an overnight face peel. The overnight peel: Derma E Overnight Peel with 5% Alpha Hydroxy Acid The cream: ST DALFOUR SPF 90 GLUTATHIONE WHITENING SUNBLOCK CREAM

Chemicals, lasers and acne scars

Best not to use a sunscreen at night, I would recommend that you see a dermatologist for skin brightening and lightening using a combination of low power lasers, and bleaching cream. You can safely add your regime into the program depending on how sensitive your skin is. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Peels and Skin Lighteners

It is usually NOT recommended to use a peel and topical whitening agent at the same time.   It is also not advisable to sleep with chemical sunscreen overnight (the spf).  There exists chemical peels that are safe in ALL skin types, but these are only administered by a professional, and I would recommend only by a board certified dermatologist.   All peels need to be performed after proper lightening creams have prepped your skin and then post procedure lightening again.   When a peel is performed and then another chemical applied soon after, irritation can occur, which can lead to even further darkening of the skin.  On a side note, over the counter peels and lighteners are usually not strong enough to have significant results on skin discoloration so I would recommend being evaluated by a professional for a medical grade treatment regimen.  Good luck! 

Jennifer Rullan, MD
Chula Vista Dermatologic Surgeon

Go With An Expert for Best Results-Peels, Skin Lightening

I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist before you do any home treatments. Chemical peels should be administered by a professional for best results. You don't want any complications. Best, Dr. Emer

Dark Skin and Acne Peels

I often combine bleaching creams and Retinoids with Vitamin C serum for my patients and then perform chemical peels after these cream have started the lightening process.  A sunblock such as the one you are describing could be used during the day.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

It is very smart of you to start very mild. Any time you have pimentation and your skin is dark you have to be very careful not to make the problem worse. Yes it is good to use a bleaching cream with a good SPF. The night peel sounds mild so it should be fine. Just be sure not to use anything that will irritate and cause a burn. The AHA will exfoliate the skin and help the bleacher work better. DO NOT have a laser or Fraxel treatment. Stick to mild creams and treatments. The Micro Needling trreatments are good for acne scars that are deep and can be done on all skin types. Before you attempt that it would be good to get on a good skincare program with a bleacher... Good Luck!

Bruce K. Smith, MD