What is the best treatment for acne scar on my shoulders and back?

I'm 27, I have acne scar on my back since being teenager , I have light skin with dark brown hyperpigmentation, and still active acne , I tried Accutane for 8 month, and didn't get the result I want . it worked perfect for my face but not for my back and upper arm. what should I do, may I benefit from laser?

Acne Scars for Back

These acne scars on the back can be treated extremely well with Fraxel and eMatrix laser. There are other acne treatments such as other antibiotics and medications that might be more effective. I would definitely consult an expert to get the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Yes, fractionated laser

Raised scars on the back can be improved but not eliminated .Injections of Verapramil will flatten raised scars.Fractionated laser treatment can flatten the scar but unfortunately will still leave a residual scar. See a dermatologist who can deal with the still active acne and set up a treatment plan .Insot on test spots first before committing to extensive procedures because results vary.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Scarring requires a series of treatments including lasers, subcision, fillers.  I suggest a formal consultation with an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Best options for acne scars on the back

I would recommend a combination of light chemical peels, Melarase creams, Clear and Brilliant laser, and E Matrix RF treatment. 

DR. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Acne scars on shoulders and back

The skin of the shoulders and back is significantly thicker and more prone to keloidal scarring. For this reason, treatment modalities are slightly different. The concept of treating the individual scar type  is similar.For depressed acne scars, subcision, microneedle radio frequency (Infini)  and fillers are used. For more superficial scars, non ablative lasers, deep chemical peeling and Micro Needling. Avoid ablative lasers on the back and shoulders. Raised scars are more common on the shoulders and back. For these types of scars, intralesional injections with steroids, verapamil and 5-fluorouracil are used. Sometimes liquid nitrogen treatment of raised scars is employed. Look for a doctor who has experience in treating acne scars of the shoulders and back. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon