I was burned by a dentist 6 months ago and still have a very noticeable bump? (Photos)

I was burned by a dentist 6 months ago and still have a very noticeable bump which is very sensitive to the touch. How do get rid of this bump? Will it ever go away?

Plato's Scar Serum to a lip scar followed by surgery

You will likely need surgical scar revision. I would start with application of Plato's Scar serum at this point. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Lip scar

Thank you for your photo. At six months, it is still a bit early to determine the final result of lip scars. Lips always produce very obvious and hard scars compared to the softness of uninjured lip tissue. This makes the scar often feel and look worse than it really is. Over the course of a year, the scar will continue to shrink and soften as the collagen eventually equilibriates and remodels. If in the future, the scar is still large and thick, a revisional procedure may be performed to decrease its size and visibility. Bear in mind, that there will always be a scar, but the goal is to make it as unnoticeable as possible. It is best to have an in-person examination to determine the best treatment plan. Hope this helps!
Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Scar on Face -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2, Erbium), Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Surgical Revision

Lasers and surgery can be used to fix this. I suggest seeing an expert. If this is "hard" injections with steroids may help.  Best, Dr. Emer.

You've come a long way

Hi and thank you for your question. I'm so sorry you are going through this and I completely understand your concern. First of all, you have a really pretty mouth, and a stranger on the street probably isn't noticing the lump. But what's important is how you feel about your appearance, not what others may or may not notice. If you feel like the lump is slowly getting better, I'd recommend leaving it alone for now and letting the wound continue to mature. That looks like it was a pretty significant burn, and your body is working hard to heal it. The puffiness you see is a lump of scar tissue. It will take about a year from the injury for it to fully evolve. It's hard to apply scar dressings to lips because of moisture and movement. But in the meantime, you can try a thin layer of topical silicone-based ointment/cream (it's inert but try not to ingest it.)When you reach the point where the wound is no longer changing/improving, and if you still feel uncomfortable, a minor scar revision might improve the bumpy appearance. Excising the scar in an elliptical shape that leaves a flat, straight line scar parallel to the vertical lines of your lip may be an improvement to the circular scar you currently have. I'd recommend waiting a few more months to let the scar mature, then seeing a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon in your area and see whether she/he feels that an improvement is possible. Definitely keep us posted about your progress.Sincerely,Dr. Weintraub