Hypertrophic acne scars on nose solution? (Photo)

I have some extremely visible permanent scars on the sides of my nose and front of my nose. It affects my self esteem quite a bit to the point that i rarely take photos of myself. My front camera did not focus well but the ones on the side are pretty visible. It's soft and the scars have been there for years. I'm Korean and probe to raised scars. With that said is there anything i can do about this?

Doctor Answers 4

Fractional lasers for sebaceous gland hyperplasia on nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
These scars may represent sebaceous gland hyperplasia among other things. I would suggest fractional laser, Ematrix RF, and hyfrecation. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Realself100 Surgeon

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Hypertrophic Scar/Keloid -- Pulsed Dye Laser/VBeam, 5fu/steroids, Fraxel/Viva, CO2, Aerolase

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This can be treated by lasers and/or surgery.  Please see a laser expert for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Hypertrophic facial scars? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs, NJ

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In my opinion, based upon your photos, it appears that you have  hypertrophic scars. The treatment for hypertrophic scars begins with injections. We have had success with verapamil and 5-fluorouracil. As you are Asian, I would avoid using steroids. Should that not be effective, ablative or non-ablative lasers in conjunction with injections are helpful. Micro Needling with or without topical 5 FU or verapamil is an alternative. You need to see an acne scar expert who can direct your care. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Acne Scars Hypertophic

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to assess the nature of your scars from the photos.  I would suggest an in person consultation to evaluate these scars since there are so many treatments now available from peels, to micro needling, to emit and Fraxel.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.