What treatment is best for this? What kind of acne scars do I have? Will my acne scars improve as the years go by? (Photo)

Please help .

Acne Scars and Volume Loss

Often when you have acne scars there is volume loss associated with it.  I would recommend Voluma or Sculptra to help with these scars followed by lasers and chemical peels and PRP to help with the overall texture.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne scars and volume loss

I would recommend the Infini for the scars and Bellafill or other filler for the cheek volume loss. It is my experience that acne scars look worse as one ages. This is because the skin becomes thinner and volume loss accentuates the appearance of the scars.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne scars and treatment

Thanks for your question. Acne scars don’t necessarily disappear over time and improve very little. Lasers promote the production of collagen and elastin by stimulating the deeper layers of your skin while treating outer layers of scar tissue with vAcarying levels of laser energy. This process reduces your skin damage and leads to a plump, enviable complexion. The right scar treatment for you depends on your skin and specific scarring, meeting with a board certified dermatologist will help you determine what is best. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Acne Treatment Solutions

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with your skin. Living with acne scarring is not something you have to put up with thanks to the advancement of aesthetic lasers that are equipped to treat a wide variety of skin conditions. Acne falls under the category of atrophic scars, which means they are indented.  The blemish or injury has penetrated into the dermis layer of skin, causing the damage to be deep.  Acne scars are further categorized by their shape.  Ice-pick acne scars are the most common and are named because of the V-shaped holes they cause on the cheeks.  Boxed acne scars are square-shaped and can be deep.  They are not only found on the cheeks, but also on the temple area.  Finally, rolling acne scars cause the skin to have a wave-like texture.

At our clinic we often recommend a series of AFT (Advanced Fluorescence Technology) laser treatments for acne scarring as a starting point, it all depends on the patients current skin condition. AFT is an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) laser technology targets the surface of the skin where prior acne has made the surface uneven and improves the texture, tone, and appearance of skin with minimal downtime.

A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or a dermatologist would be the first step in treating your scars!

I would highly recommend a high quality medical grade skin care routine that contains ingredients that have been developed to treat acne on the face.

Watch the attached link for more info.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon