Laugh lines at 25 and neck wrinkles. (photo)

I'm my skin seems to be losing its elasticity. The laugh lines I have when I smile seem to be staying around all the time. They are deepening and I'm young so I'm concerned. I am concerned about my neck as well. What is a good routine to take care of my skin? What can I do to remedy this/prevent worsening?

Treatment for Laugh Linest & Neck Lines

Hi and thank you for sharing your concern! Laugh lines can appear due to several reasons and one of the main reasons is emptiness of the mid-face area due the volume loss as part of aging or rapid weight loss. Hence, depending on what is going on in the mid-face and patient characteristics, I have different approaches. If it is in a relatively younger patient without much volume loss, I can simply inject proper filler underneath it to make it smoother. However, if the main issue is sagginess of the skin due to volume loss in the mid-face, first I correct and restore the mid-face volume loss and that helps to lift up the skin and open up the fold indirectly. One helpful strategy that I always do with my new patients is to review the patient's pictures taken a few years ago versus current ones to explore and pinpoint the specific aspects of aging process in each patient's face to be able to come up with a holistic approach to rejuvenating the face.

Regarding the treatment for the fine lines on the neck, the treatment choice depends on the depth and extent of the lines, and there are several good options to smooth out the lines, ranging from good quality anti-aging skin care products to radiofrequency treatments or fillers such as Belotero. I hope it helps and good luck!  

Irvine Physician

Laugh lines and neck wrinkles

Thank you for your photo. There are several options to improve your laugh lines and neck wrinkles. A small amount of filler underneath your laugh lines will help prevent the skin from folding in and leaving in deep wrinkles even when not smiling. General skin care such as sunscreen and retin-A can help prevent UV damage and thinning of the skin which is the largest culprit of aging skin. Finally more aggressive treatments with chemical peels, lasers, or microneedling can help stimulate your body to thicken the dermis and increase collagen production which rejuvenates skin and prevents wrinkles from forming. It is best to have an in-office examination to determine which treatment is safest and most effective for your particular skin type. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Laugh lines & wrinkles at 25

Dear Runrun123:

Looking at your photo and question, I would recommend a holistic approach of a good skin care routine which includes daily use of sunscreen and maintenance topical retinols, laser facials, chemical peels and dermal fillers.  All the best. 

Injectable fillers may be considered for nasolabial wrinkles, and horizontal neck lines.

Since you are young with superficial wrinkles, artful fillers may be considered for both your nassolabial wrinkles and horizontal neck lines. In our practice, we may prefer using Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. Hope this helps. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

An Age Prevention Routine

I find that a combination of lasers or RF, sculptra for collagen building, microneedling/prp, ultherapy and skin care help the skin rejuvenation and prevent aging. Fillers also help with volume and laugh lines. I combine sculptra with other fillers to get an even better outcome.   Please see a cosmetic dermatologist for a long term treatment plan. Best, Dr. Emer.