I'm not sure exactly what type of scarring i have , I have a few big marks and then it almost looks like u have little holes (ph

I first came into the encounter of acne my sophomore year I high school and now I am currently a sophomore in college. I had hyper pigmentation and was from picking and popping pimples and was able to get rid of it in a couple of months , then the winter of my junior year in high school it came back and got worst , I couldn't get rid of the scarring on my face and it really annoyed me. Eventually the scars faded and became smaller, now I have breakouts at times that leave scarring/hyper pigmentation

Options for acne scars

Your indented acne scars can be improved with a combination of treatments including Clear and Brilliant laser, light chemical peels, subcision, fractional laser, and Ematrix RF. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Dark acne marks

First off, it appears you still are getting ACNE and that needs to be treated.  You should also refrain from picking and popping as this can lead to post inflammatory pigmentation and scarring.  You need to see a dermatologist to address both issues.  There are many great topicals that can treat the acne and others for addressing the pigmentation.  Small scars may respond well to microneedling which is an affordable alternative to lasers.
Take care.

S. Teri McGillis, MD
Lancaster Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark marks from acne

There are many ways to go about treating post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (=dark marks) from acne. See prior posts for some options.  

Much will depend on how quickly you want results and your budget.  

1-Home or office chemical peels are an economical and effective first step; most people get adequate results.
2- The other important aspect is that just be avoiding picking, avoiding sun, wearing sunscreen, and using a bleaching cream at home, you can get great results.
3- If there is any chance that the acne is STILL ongoing, this must be addressed. There is no use is treating marks, when you will continue to get more.  
4- any residual "icepick" scar (the tiny ones you point out) can also be nicely treated with TCA CROSS.

Certainly there are dozens of lasers and radiofrequency-based technologies however I do not think there is a need for you to start there.  Simple steps shouldn't be overlooked.  Be well!!

Estee Williams, MD

Acne and Scars

Please consult a board certified dermatologist to ascertain what is the cause of the continued breakout.  If it is hormonal or genetic.  Then you can start using treatments to control the acne.  The scars can be treated with Fraxel, eMatrix, Micropen, chemical peels or other modalities depending on the degree and type of scars. An in office consultation is really the only way to ascertain the best treatment.  Best, Dr. Green

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Active acne, a few minor box scars left cheek , congestion.

I think if you control your acne, things will be a lot better, you have some congestion that can be treated with chemical peels, and PIH with some Picosure Foucs lasers or even simple Q switch.Control of your acne is the key.  I suggest you consult a dermatologist in your area. 

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist