How to get rid of large pores that have been on my skin for years? (Photo)

I am 18 years old with oily combination skin. I have several large craters on my face due to acne scaring. Are there any remedies , or things I can do to get rid of them and obtain smooth soft skin ?

TCA CROSS For Pit Scars; Subcision For Atrophic Scars; Fractional Microneedling For Tone & Texture Problems

From the photo provided you have a mix of acne scars, with a predominance of ice pick ("pit") scars. These can be treated with The TCA CROSS Technique. Subcision can help to elevate the depressed (atrophic, indented) scars, and fractional microneedle resurfacting can help to better blend the tone and texture of the treated areas with the surrounding normal skin. All of the foregoing are relatively inexpensive procedures that engender little to no significant post-treatment downtime.

I have little faith in most of the newer, relatively expensive, "next best thing to come along" fraxel, radiofrequency or ultrasound devices. Their results tend to be variable, inconsistent and often subtle at best and seem to be supported far more by device manufacturer backed marketing hype than hard science.

You would do well to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in treating all forms of acne scarring. 

Treating Your acne Scars

These scars are very difficult to treat.  An in office consultation would be best to evaluate how deep your scars are and what type of scars you have.  Generally it takes a combination of treatments including TCA, Fraxel, eMatrix or micro needling and injections of fillers to improve these scars. Please consult an expert to help evaluate your scars and create a custom designed treatment plan.  Best, Dr. Green

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Acne scars

There are certainly many good options, and for you, I recommend a series of laser  resurfacing procedures. This is done in a 15 minute office visit, find me, and you're very comfortable. Some of the ice pick scars, which are the tiny ones, additionally benefit from TCA. Be well. 

Estee Williams, MD

Punch elevation TCA, and laser

This will take time, you have multiple scars and enlarged pores of different depth and sizes. You will benefit from a combination of treatments, including TCA CROSS, surgical procedures and laser. Find attached a video on some methods to reduce pore sizing. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist