How to reduce internal hardened scar tissue on upper lip after dog bite? (Photos)

Hi, I was bitten by a dog on July 3rd, and had to get stitches because of how deep the cut on my upper lip was (the plastic surgeon said they usually do not suture dog bites for drainage reasons). Everything has healed relatively well so far, but I am starting to feel a hardened bump in the inside of my lip, and I'm worried about dis-figuration on my upper lip if it continues to get bigger. Right now I currently use vitamin e oil and derma e daily about 3-5 times a day. Any help is appreciated

Hard Scar on Lip after Dog Bite

Sorry to hear about your injury.  I would recommend that you make an appointment with a dermatologist who is experienced in the treatment of scars.  A common treatment is injection of Kenalog to soften the scar and prevent it from getting thicker.  This usually helps and can be repeated on a monthly basis if needed.Regards,Dr. Ort

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser therapy, Melarase PM, and Plato's Scar Serum

At this point, I would optimize topical care with Plato's Scar Serum, Melarase PM, and laser therapy before considering any surgical scar revision. 
Best, Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar maturation

I am sorry to hear about the dog bite, and that does look a fairly significant injury.  It appears from the two pictures that you are healing relatively well.  The lump that you are feeling could a result of several things.  It could be a deep, dissolvable suture that is commonly used in deep lacerations. This can take up to 6 weeks to dissolve, these are usually placed to provide strength to the closure.  It could also just be scar tissue formation at this point, which I would expect to continue to improve over the next 6 months, you are still pretty early in the healing process.  Less likely it could be related to trauma of a minor salivary gland and is creating some swelling.  I would suggest follow up to get a proper examination to determine the exact cause and if any further treatment (steroids, fractional laser) would be helpful.  Good luck.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon