Benzoyl Peroxide and Skin Healing?

I read that Accutane significantly delays healing and makes the skin prone to scarring. Since Benzoyl Peroxide also dries the skin in the first week of usage, I'm worried whether it works in the same way as Accutane. So my question is: After the first week, once the skin gets used to BP and is no longer dry or flaking, will using it have any negative effects on healing for injuries, especially injuries in the dermal layer?

Benzoyl peroxide does not interfere with most lasers

Benzoyl peroxide does dry the skin. However, Accutane has specific effects on the sebaceous unit that affects wound healing. Most lasers can be used with BP.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Benzoyl Peroxide and Accutane have different mechanisms

I would not worry about about delayed wound healing with Benzoyl Peroxide (BPO). Although both therapies do dry you out, the manner in which they do so is not exactly the same. So, while you may read about delays in wound healing while being on accutane therapies, it does not translate over to BPO just because they both cause dryness issues. I would be more concerned about irritation potential if you are drying out too much. I usually tell my patients to start slow, maybe every other day to ensure their skin can tolerate the product. After 1-2 weeks, if no significant redness, dryness, or peeling, then increase to every day use. Of course, this meaning progress is a little slower in the beginning but I think it is a fair trade off to ensure they can tolerate the treatment regimen.

Miguel A. Gutierrez, MD
Torrance Dermatologist

Accutane and Benzyl Peroxide aren't similar

Any comparisons between these 2 products is not possible. Accutane is oral and a very powerful medication. BP is topical and won't impair the healing like Accutane has been shown to. BTW, this is controversial about Accutane and coming into question at some meetings.

Steven F. Weiner, MD