For acne scars and surgical scars removal, should I refer to a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon or an aesthetics doctor?

I am confused which specific field of doctor should I prefer for acne scars and surgical scars removal . I have a 4 year old surgical scar on my knee and deep acne scars on the face .

Doctor Answers 3

Acne Scars & Surgical Scars May Be Treated By Aesthetic Dermatologists & Plastic Surgeons

Plastic surgeons (including general plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, oculoplastic and ENT plastic surgeons) and cosmetic dermatologic surgeons all are trained to deal with these kinds of problems.

The most important thing is to find a physician in one of these "core" specialties who is board certified and possesses the experience and expertise and of course someone with whom you feel comfortable and can develop a rapport.

Good luck to you.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Scars from acne and surgery

Dear Vidhik,

There is no single answer to your question.  The best doctor to see if the one with the most experience and with results that you think are aesthetically pleasing.  While dermatologists tend to treat active acne, facial plastic and plastic surgeons tend to treat the scars left from acne and general surgical procedures. 

Hope this helps!
Dr Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Acne and Surgical Scars

The best treatment would be by a physician who treats a great deal of these scars.  Typically cosmetic dermatologists treat a great deal of scars but you should consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.