I have had hormonal acne for over 10 years. My dermatologist gave me course of isotretinoin and Diane 35.

I was on Diane 35 for 6 months but recently was diagnosed with Ovarian cyst,post which my gynaecologist stopped Diane 35 and gave me different hormonal pills to regress the cyst,which has caused my acne to flare up.Kindly advise a non hormonal alternative to Diane 35 which would clear up my acne

If you want to avoid any hormone like effects...

Diane 35 has a strong anti-androgen profile which is why it works well for acne.  Spironolactone has similar anti-androgen features but it is a diuretic so you’d need to be prepared for that effect.  If you want to avoid any hormone like effects then you might want to stick to topical treatments like a combination retinol/benzoyl peroxide product like TactuPump plus an oral or topical antibiotic. 

Waterloo Physician

Adult acne alternative treatments

I like to use lasers for adult acne. They require a series of up to 8 treatments, but give long term solutions in some cases. Spironolactone has been effective in hormonal acne as well. Also, micro amounts of Botox is helpful in the skin for acne as well.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hormonal acne...

Thank you for your question.  I am not sure when you did Accutane and if another course may be necessary, but at this point an alternative you may wish to discuss with both your Dermatologist and Gynecologist may be Spironolactone in combo with birth control.  Spironolactone has anti-androgen properties which typically works very well for adult female hormonal acne, additionally it may help ovarian cysts as it is sometimes used for PCOS in combination with birth control.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon