What's the Best Method For Addressing Under Eye Wrinkles? I'm In My Mid 30s.

I've always had a problem with tear troughs but recently (in the last couple of years) have noticed how wrinkled my under eye area is getting (particularly on the left-hand side). I've attached a picture so you can see the exact nature of it. I was wondering what the best procedures would be to help this. I've also heard people talk of Retin-a to thicken up skin and increase collagen but worried this might be bad for the eye area. Many thanks for you help.

Doctor Answers 5

Under eye wrinkles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a variety of options to help correct your under eye wrinkles.  I think a big help would be to use a filler, such as Restylane, to plump up your tear troughs.  Believe it or not, by expanding (filling) that area it will also help decrease the appearance of skin wrinkling.  Using a good Glycolic acid containing eye cream, Botox injections to decrease muscular activity, chemical peels and using a tretinoin cream (such as RetinA) will also improve things and keep those wrinkles from becoming more prominent.  Also, please don't forget to use sunscreen (spf 30 or greater)!

Silverdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fine line around the eyes can be improved if addressed early

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your age is a good thing.  Getting a head start is always prudent.

To be honest, the best things you can do for your complaints are:

1.) Sunscreen, sunscreen, and sunscreen

2.) Perhaps a retin-a product for fine lines and also so that you move forward through time more slowly.

3.) If not retin-a then a cosmeceutical product such as Neocutis Lumiere or their BIOSerum or something of the sort.

If they need actual treatment vs early preventive regimens, you could consult with a local physician about laser resurfacing, but I would imagine your lines are too young to require that at this time.

Hope this helps.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Under eye wrinkling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I, of course, agree with those that suggested daily sunscreen. I do think that a retinoid will give you wonderful long term results and that this is very safe. Around the eye you must work up to daily /nightly use gradually. I do think that a filler ,such as Restylane, would give you a reasonable amount of improvement. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

You might also like...

Under eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As best as I can tell from your pictures, you should seriously consider a lower lid blepheroplasty with far preservation a repositioning 

David A. Bray, Sr., MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye wrinkles in the 30's?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  Of course tretinoin, light peeling agents and sunscreens are all indicated here.  Botox can be considered too.  But I would not rule out lower eyelid surgery with conservative skin removal if it is sufficiently bothersome to you.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.