What could a dermatologist do for me? Can scar revisions paired with doctor's routine reduce the definition of my scars? (Photo)

Hi,I have had this scar on my face for almost 3 years now. I had the damage done when I was 17, in college, at a very pivotal time in my life. It has closed off a lot of opportunity in my life since then, and after dealing with the emotial pain long enough, is like to seek treatment. Preferably I'd like to see a dermatologist before any surgeries. Thanks for any information l you can provide.

Doctor Answers 4

Scars on the cheeks can be improved

I would use a combination of fractional lasers, fractional RF, ematrix sublation, fillers, and subcision for your scars. 
Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Scar on Face -- Lasers, Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Dermaflage/ScarMD

Combination treatmetns work well on scars such as lasers, fillers, microneedling.  I suggest you see an expert for a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Treatment for scar on face

It's hard to give a recommendation based on pictures alone (pictures are two dimensional while scars are three dimensional), but from what I can tell you might benefit from filler injections under and within the scar.  I would start with a hyaluronic acid based filler such as Restylane Lyft.  It's important to see an expert in treatment of scars and fillers.
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Subcision & Filler For Depressed Scars; Microneedling For Blending Its Tone & Texture

I am really so sorry that the scar has caused you so much grief these past three years.

As a rule, depressed inear scars, from any cause, including trauma, may be raised up using subcision with or without the addition of a filler for both its immediate benefits and its ability to stimulate the production of new, native collagen and elastic fiber synthesis (neocollagenesis/neoelastogenesis). 

Once elevated to more flush with the surrounding skin surface, microneedling may be used to further blend the surface tone and texture of the scar with that of the surrounding normal skin. 

It is important that you seek consultation with a board certified cosmetic dermatologist with skill and expertise in scar treatments.  A dermatologist will also be able to prescribe for you a regimen for overall maintenance of skin following treatment.  For more information on the above, check out the archives of RealSelf.com.

I wish you the best of luck.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.