Wrinkle-prevention procedures OK for 22 year old?

I use Tretinoin at night; Cerave & zinc sunblock daily; TCA peels & high frequency laser sparingly (all at home - few years of experience). Being very watchful of my skin, I can see that even now it's not what it was a few years ago (better quality due to Tretinoin - but some "indentation"- like wrinkles around eye bags area/ mouth. I'd like to amp up my routine w/ professional help - which procedures should I think about? Thank you in advance!

Skin care

It sounds like you are doing quite a bit to prevent the signs of aging. Generally speaking, aging causes thinning of the skin, decreased volume, and loss of elasticity (or more sagging). You are already avoiding UV damage and using tretinoin which definitely helps. Additional modalities such as microneedling or conservative use of facial fillers, if needed, can help keep your facial skin appearing rejuvenated and hydrated. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician

Preserve your youthful look

The bad news is there is simply no way you are going to be able to preserve your 22 year old looks.  The good news is you can slow the aging process with some simple precautions. 

Avoid excessive sun exposure.  The UV-B rays are blocked by glass and clouds; the UV-A rays are not blocked by anything except UV-A blockers such as the Zinc you are using.  I particularly like Anthelios with Mexoryl.  It is important to reapply it at least twice a day.

Avoid smoke, either from cigarettes or from cooking.  The smoke is as damaging as UV-A rays.

Keep yourself hydrated by drinking eight glasses of pure water daily.  I am a big believer in supplements such as Vitamin C and Omega-3 (fish oil).Cleanser

A gentle but effective wash, such as FoxxMD Evolutionary Skin Care Sanctuary Daily Gel Cleanser with Turmeric and Willow Bark is important.  Much better than the ubiquitous Cetaphil.  

This is a good time to pay attention to the inner you.  I met a 75 year old patient the other day who was just dazzling.  Did she look 'older?' You bet.  But her charm and vitality and spirit were undeniable.  Virtually everyone looks great at 22 but it is the inner you that will carry you through to the later years.

Remember my mantra: "Health and Beauty, inside and out..."

Richard Foxx, MD
Poway Physician

Preventative Treatments for Visible Signs of Aging

While it seems you are taking good care of your skin, I would leave procedures such as any laser or peels (aside from peels meant to be done at home) up to the professionals so as to avoid causing any potential damage to your skin. Without seeing you, I would advise monthly in-office peels and some non-invasive laser, such as our 3D laser, for prevention of visible aging. It seems that you are already familiar with peels so I will spare the details, but 3D laser may be something new to you. 3D is a hallmark treatment at my practice and involves the combination of two lasers, Collagenesis and Vbeam, which work together to provide an overall collagen building, three-dimensional skin tightening effect. This treatment will be most effective in a series, each session spaced 2-4 weeks apart and you will begin to see results following the first treatment. This is a non-invasive procedure, involving only minimal discomfort and zero downtime - you will leave the office looking refreshed and radiant and can know you are doing things for your skin that will keep your skin looking youthful for years to come!

Dennis Gross, MD

Facial Rejuvenation Treatment Plan--Lasers, RF treatments (Venus Legacy), Sculptra, Botox

I find that a combination of lasers or RF, sculptra for collagen building, microneedling/prp and skin care help the skin rejuvenation and prevent aging.  Please see a cosmetic dermatologist for a long term treatment plan.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Age 22, want to start "Prejuvenation"

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. You might want to start doing Botox for wrinkle prevention. I would also include a growth factor product from either Skinmedica or Lifeline. Light laser peels or resurfacing are also a good maintenance program.

Steven F. Weiner, MD