What steps should I take to ameliorate the scar? Surgery? Silicone gel sheets? Anything I can do at this point? (Photo)

3 months ago I fell and got a pebble lodged in my face. A month and a half later I saw severe swelling and redness around the wound before the rock pushed itself out of my face (see picture #1). In the process, two scabs about an inch long each developed above and below the initial point of contact. There was a small hole from the area where the rock exited. I kept the wound clean and moisturized, but a month and a half has passed the scar is still slightly raised and very discolored (picture 3)

Plato's Scar Serum and Melarase creams for the scar on the face

I would recommend application of Plato's Scar Serum and Melarase creams followed by fractional lasers to help with the scar. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Scarring

Ideally, when a small foreign body such as a pebble finds its way into your skin, the best thing is to remove it as soon as possible and only if possible to reduce the amount of inflammation and contamination in the wound. This will minimize the amount of scarring that will occur. It seems that fortunately the pebble is now gone without any active infection. 

Since scars continue to mature and improve over a year, you can continue treating your scar with various methods. Topical options include silicone-based strips or gels. Microneedling, fractionated laser, and radiofrequency make microscopic holes in the scar to stimulate your body to remodel and fill in the scar with new collagen. Finally, a surgical excision and possible tissue rearrangement can break up the line of the scar, make the scar thinner, and improve its appearance. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Best of luck!

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Scar on Face -- Lasers, Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Dermaflage/ScarMD

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist this can be treated with lasers, microneedling and skin care.  Best, Dr. Emer.