Long Indented Old Scar on Forehead. What Do You Recommend? (photo)

How to remove a 22 year old indented scar on my forehead? I have this scar from a bicycle accident on my forehead since i was 6 years old, and everytime people look at my face, my scar was first thing they always notice, I'm from Philippines, can you please advise me whats the best treatment for my scar? Thank you very much.

Doctor Answers 3

Long indented scar of forehead

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


1.Plastic surgery revision by a capable plastic surgeon followed by fractional laser treatments if needed. this the simplest and most straight forward option.

2. Injectable filler combined with fractional lasers. If you chose that option you may need to have repeated filler treatments.

3. Injections with stem cell enriched fat. Conservative first treatment with about 20% overcorrection. Additional fat grafting may be required depending on the initial fat graft take. This will give correction of the volume loss and improvement of the scar and skin quality.

Good Luck.


Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Forehead scar revision with z plasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Scar revision with z plasty and layered closure can help improve the scar on your forehead.  I would perform this procedure under local anesthesia.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Forehead Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Facial scars are most noticeable for a few reasons: 1) color and 2) texture and 3) depth.  Scars never fully go away technically, but they can be improved in appearance so that they are minimally noticeable.  If the color is different, that attracts attention.  If the scar is raised (like a keloid) or depressed, that again attracts attention.  The least noticeable scars are the ones that are pencil thin and light or skin color.  There are also special creams that are used to improve any facial scars that are only available through a specialist.


From the photo you posted, your scar is noticeable because it is wide, depressed, and slightly different in color from the surrounding skin.  It appears that revising this scar would be a great option to minimize the visibility of this.  Please consult with a board certified specialist in the face to help you achieve the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.