What type of acne scarring do I have and what treatment could improve it? (Photo)

I have suffered from large acne spots on my chin since a teenager and I'm now in my thirties. I have managed to get this under control using Benzoyl peroxide cream however I have been left with scars. These are very noticeable especially when I smile. I have uneven skin and one looks like a spot but has been like that over a year now. It is also slightly indented but also lumped at the same time. I have attached some pictures. Thanks

Acne scarring of chin

Several options are available. My first choice would be Infini, which is a RF device that has been shown to have long term significant improvement with acne scars. These are rolling scars and can be filled with Bellafill as well. See link.

TCA CROSS, BOTOX, Juvederm

I think in your unique situation, the use of 2 sessions of TCA CROSS to the narrow and deep scars will improve things by 70%, I would also use 5-6 units of BOTOX to decrease muscle contraction that makes the scars worse ( Suggest seeing someone who performs this regularly), finally filler, to crease, and also the slightly atrophic scar just left to the middle. I often perform gentle subcision during this process.

If you want to take things up a level, laser- either fully ablative or multiple fractional sessions. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

You need a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne scarring/pigmentation and does a combination of treatments including: surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars; Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone; lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Venus Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. There are many options but you want someone who can customize a regimen for your short and long term goals based on your individual situation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne Scars and Best Treatment

A combination of fillers and lasers such as Fraxel would be best to treat these scars.  You will need a series of laser treatments to improve the appearance and strict sun avoidance during the treatments.  Best, Dr. Green