Benzoyl peroxide rash?

Hi, I've wanted to try out benzoyl peroxide to clear out some of the acne on my face. I used it for the first few days as a spot treatment on my pimples and it seemed to work fine. Redness and of pimples were reduced. However, around the forth and fifth day I started to use it, my skin got very red, itchy, inflammed (swollen) and bumpy. Is this a normal side effect for the first few days and continue using this or do I have an allergy to this and should stop using it immediately?

Benzoyl peroxide treatment

Thank you for your question. Redness, irritation, and dryness is a side effect of benzoyl peroxide, and severity of side effects is influenced by the strength of the medication. Generally, I recommend benzoyl peroxide 2.5% to the face and anything higher would be for the body. I cannot say what you are experiencing is either a side effect or allergic reaction because you need to be evaluated in person. Therefore, I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your skin evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Benzoyl peroxide treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}