Best laser treatments for hyperpigmentation? (Photos)

I have hyperpigmentation that is likely caused by the sun or birth control pills. I am very fair and use sunscreen daily. I had a series of 3 IPL treatments that faded some of the darkest spots. I did 3 more treatments about a year later with no results. I tried again a year after that with no results. I researched other laser treatments and am overwhelmed with the options. I don't want to spend more money on treatments with no results. What do you recommend?

​Fading Browns Spots with the PicoSure FOCUS

We use the PicoSure Laser with the FOCUS lens array everyday treating pigment, fine lines and wrinkles.  We warn our patients that their skin may be come blotchy and pigment may appear darker for the next 3-5 days, although in rare cases it may last up to 2 weeks. 

The PicoFOCUS gently delivers bursts of energy deep in the dermis without causing harm to the overlaying skin.  The pulses work to break up pigment and stimulates new collagen and elastin production.  Your body’s own healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and ramps up skin turnover.  Some pigment will actually travel to the surface making it initially appear darker.  We normally recommend a series of 4 treatments; 1 every 4 weeks.  Do not be concerned if your pigment goes away and then comes back within days to weeks; pigment is usually multiple layers deep and clears layer by layer.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.

Fort Worth Physician

Getting Results with The Right Combination--Lasers, microneedling/prp, peels, skin care

A combination treatment would be best including lasers with microneedling/prp, peels, skin care and sunprotection. I suggest seeing an expert in lasers and hyperpigmentation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hyperpigmentation treatment

Hi and thanks for your question. We use Dye-VL Alma laser for hyperpigmentation and sun damage spots . It is usually very effective but for the first few days after treatment it can get worse and darker . I highly suggest to see an expert physician 

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician

Alexandrite for Hyperpigmentation

Often if we aren't seeing the results we want for a patient after a couple of IPL sessions, we would suggest treatment with the Alexandrite laser. This resurfacing treatment will work to quickly eliminate deeper brown spots that IPL sometimes cannot get to, leaving the skin clear and youthful. Based on your photos, it should take one to two treatments at most to even out your skin tone. Depending on the selected course of treatment, downtime can vary from two to five days—which can be customized to fit your schedule and your needs. This laser can be used on the face, chest, hands, arms and legs.

Dennis Gross, MD