Is Cellulite Unrelated to Fitness?

I used to be about 40 lbs overweight, and obviously had cellulite on my butt and backs of thighs. I became serious about health and fitness and lost the extra weight. I was a healthy lean, very fit and toned all over, but still had the cellulite. I could not have become much thinner without it becoming unhealthy. Are some women just stuck with cellulite no matter what? I don't have the money to have a procedure done, just wondered if some women are stuck with it for life. Thank you in advance!

Is Cellulite Unrelated to Fitness?

Hello, thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, cellulite is totally unrelated to fat or fitness.  About 80% of women over the age of 21 experience some degree of cellulite.  It is really caused by connective tissue bands that hold the fat in place and cause the appearance of bumps on the surface.  There are a couple of procedures that offer long term solutions.  Cellulaze is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that breaks up the the bands that hold the fat in place, removes the fat on the surface through liposuction and thereby tightens the surface of the skin for a smoother appearance.  The latest office procedure for reducing cellulite is Cellfina.  It seems to be most effective for the buttocks and deeper dimples but does not remove fat or provide the additional skin tightening of Cellulaze.  I don't think either procedure provides 100% reduction of cellulite, but they are improvements over the temporary solutions that proceeded them.  Many women are frustrated by cellulite.  I am sorry to report that losing weight will most likely not improve your cellulite.  

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Cellulite removal

Your cellulite problem is a common one. Fortunately, finally there are effective ways to minimize this problem. Perhaps the least invasive one is  Cellfina™. Cellfina is the only FDA-cleared minimally invasive, one-time procedure clinically proven to improve the appearance of cellulite for at least two years—the longest FDA-cleared duration for a cellulite treatment. A straightforward solution to cellulite, Cellfina™, combines a proven approach with innovative, proprietary technology, to produce precise, long-lasting results and has a high satisfaction rating on RealSelf. Together with Velashape 3, a non invasive procedure to help "shrink wrap the skin" and further minimize cellulite as a combination treatment is perhaps your best chance for taking care of this tough problem. Cellulaze is also a possible treatment but much more invasive

Cause of Cellulite?

Cellulite is just normal fat beneath the skin.  It appears bumpy because it pushes up against bands of connective tissue.

Having #cellulite doesn't mean you are overweight.  Even thin people can have it.  However, if you are overweight and you lose weight, you may reduce cellulite.  

Other factors influencing cellulite include poor diet, fad dieting, slow metabolism, lack of physical activity, hormone changes, dehydration, total body fat, and thickness and color of the skin.

There are many treatment options.

For treating #cellulite, my office typically recommends one of three treatment plans: #Cellfina, #VelaShape III, or #ThremiSmooth. These are all #non-invasive #bodyshaping products that can help reduce the appearance of your cellulite over the course of multiple sessions.

Book an in-person consultation with a #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon to determine which treatment plan is right for you.

Best of luck.

Cellulite related to fitness?

Many women regardless of their weight status are afflicted with cellulite. Fortunately a treatment called Cellfina has been shown to be extremely effective with patient satisfaction rates greater than 90% three years after treatment. If and when you are ready to investigate further, obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you experienced in Cellfina. They can examine you, then discuss options for treatment with you in greater detail.

Cellulite, Vaser Smooth, Thermi RF, Cellfina, Fat Transfer, Cellulaze, Subcision, Dimpling

Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women.
It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied.
Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment.

It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks.
It is different than Cellulaze which is a laser.
If you have had previous poor results with cellulaze, you can still do Cellfina.
Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years.
Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure.
It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding.

It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or
Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding.

It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office.

Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Cellfina

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately even those who are fit and exercise can still have cellulite. It is a very common condition that affects most woman at some point in their lives. Cellfina is a minimally invasive procedure that offers 2 years of cellulite clearance by treating the connective bands woven throughout the fat.

Dr. Leonard Lu

Leonard Lu, MD

Cleefina for Cellulite

Cellulite in simple terms is cause by ads running through the fat to under surface of the skin.  The Cellfina device perform a safe controlled release of these bands.  It sounds like it would be worth finding a Plastic Surgeon with the Cellfina device and have a discussion about your options

Cellulite -- Vaser Smooth, ThermiRF, Cellfina, Fat Transfer, Subcision

Cellulite is genetic and cellfina is the best long term treatment available.  Please see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cellulite Severity is Directly Related to Fitness: Cures - Cellfina, Kybella, Velashape

While 90% of women and some 40% of suffer from cellulite during the course of their lives, there are risk factors for cellulite severity and frequency these include a history of being over weight, especially obesity, sedentary life style and diets high in carbohydrates chronic high insulin levels. Thus cellulite is inversely related to fitness in severity but fitness cannot prevent cellulite from occurring.  Liposuction often makes cellulite worse. The most promising techniques are wide subcision (Cellfina), Kybella and Velashape.  They techniques may all be used to improve the appearance of cellulite. Stay fit, eat healthy and go get one or more of these treatments.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon