What kind of treatment is recommended for acne scars and enlarged pores- specifically rolling, box, & hypertrophic scars?(photo)

I have rolling scars along my cheeks mixed in with what I think are boxcar scars. I also have a hypertrophic scar on my chin. I have a very light skin tone. What kind of treatment is recommended? I still have hormonal acne, but the scars from my old cystic acne takes a huge toll on my self confidence.

Mixed Acne Scars and Treatment

Thank you for posting a photo.  Since you have mixed type of scars a combination approach will be necessary.  A combination of eMatrix with your skin type and fillers into the scar would be the best approach.  Please consult a specialist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Different options

Acne scars, as any other scar, can be camouflaged and improved, but is difficult to completely clear them. Different treatments are needed, from home care treatments to more invasive ones, like deep chemical peels, CO2 laser resurfacing and others. Direct excision and permanent fillers are sometimes used as well.

Javier Galindo, MD
Spain Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the treatment for rolling scars and enlarged pores?

There are many ways to improve your scars for your large pores the lasering is going to be a key. For Rolling scars volumizing is key. For BoxCar scars lasering and volumizing both help for ice pick scars lasering is crucial. Hypertrophic scars need to be removed with the laser. We do all of these scars with our 5-7 step process that is done in about 2-3 hours.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mixed acne scars = multiple treatment methods.

Video below in the web reference section goes through all the methods for treating acnes scars. 

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.
Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Combination of acne scars

The combination of lasers and filler can help your different types of acne scars.  It is very important to get your acne under control so you do not get more scars.  You should seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon