I have had this raised acne scar for a number of years, what is my best option of getting rid of it? (photos)

I've had it for 7-8 years, I'm 19. Sometimes it's inflamed and red, and sometimes it's not. I just want it gone.

Doctor Answers 3

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Combination treatments are best for acne scars.  I suggest you see a cosmetic dermatologist with experience.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Hypertrophic Scars Respond Well To Anti-Inflammatory Injections

From the photo ii is difficult to say whether this is a hypertrophic scar, a residual cyst, or both. Both conditions usually respond well to the injection of a small amount of anti-inflammatory, such as triamcinolone.

Once flattened, the inevitable residual discoloration or possible indentation may be treated by a variety of methods, such as bleaching prescription agents, chemical peels, subcision (with or without the addition of filler), and medical microneedling. To learn more about any of the these, you can check out the archives of RealSelf.com.

Having said all this, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified aesthetic dermatologist to diagnose your problem and determine the best treatment option(s).

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Raised Acne/Scar

It is difficult to tell from the photo but it seems that this may still be a cystic lesion and not just a scar.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist since the treatment is completely different depending on whether it is a scar or a cyst.  A scar would be best treated with the V-Beam laser and cortisone injections. Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.