What is a best treatment for this purple-red mark scar after acne? (photos)

Had this purple-red mark scar left after acne?! It's been a 1,5 year and it's not going away? What should I use? And what is a best treatment?

Doctor Answers 5

Treating redness from acne - VBEAM is gold standard

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Redness of any type is best treated with the VBeam. It has the most research for this problem than any other laser. Vbeam is also great for early red scars which this looks like. There is a new gold hand piece for the Spectra laser, a q switched laser that is FDA approved for redness after acne. I'll be trying this in the near future. 

Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Treating Purple-Red scars from acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The V-Beam is the gold standard for treating red scars, especially those from acne.  I use the V-Beam every single day for sun damage, rosacea, fine lines, and acne scars.  It may take more than one treatment to reduce the redness in this scar.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist in your area with a lot of experience with acne scars.

Keloid Scarring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It looks like you have a red keloid scar. A keloid contains extra scar tissue and this causes its thickness. I would recommend treatment with the Vbeam laser and injections of steroids.

The Vbeam is a pulsed dye laser that is gold standard for removing red on the skin. It is excellent for red acne scars, broken capillaries, rosacea, port wine stains and many other conditions. The injections will improve the thickness of the scar.

Typically you would need a series of treatments to see best results.

Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what treatment is best for you and how many treatments you may need.

For more information click link below:

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Scar Treatments after Acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Saniya.  Are you Asian?  Sometimes Asians heal from acne cysts with small hypertrophic or keloid (bumpy or raised) scars.  This is what it looks like in your situation.  The redness cannot easily fade until the hard scar tissue is treated and this is done with injected steroids.  

It's quite a simple procedure, but too much of the drug can lead to the opposite situation where you have an indentation in the skin so choose your practitioner wisely.  

Take a look at the link below to see before and after pictures for the treatment of keloids on the chest with an Asian patient in Orange County.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

MicroPen Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In our practice we have found the most success in minimizing acne scars with MicroPen treatments.  The MicroPen helps to flatten the scar as well as remove the discoloration.  You normally will need a series of 3-6 and it works even better with a chemical peel.  In your case you would be able to do a spot treatment, although the benefits you receive from the treatment might make you want to treat your entire face and chest.  I hope this is helpful information and wish you luck!

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.