Question about doxycycline (taking 100mg a day for 3 months, for acne)

Some people online say that it could inhibit protein synthesis in Bacteria, and occasionally carry over to eukaryotic ribosomes, therefore affecting the body's ability to repair muscle. As an avid weightlifter this issue concerns me. I'm going to be a senior in high school, and now fear that this medication is affecting my gains. My questions for you are... Does doxycycline affect muscle growth? Does doxycycline affect genetics? When you go off doxycycline, does your body return to normal? Thx

Doxyxycline for acne

Thank you for your question ShShane. Doxycycline is an antibiotic used to treat acne. It is used for redness associated with acne and in this use it works as an anti-inflammatory agent. When used for acne, doxycycline is usually only used for a few months.Your question is technical so the answer is technical as well. Doxycycline kills bacteria by binding to the 30S ribosome in the bacterial. The 30S ribosome is used to translate mRNA into proteins in the bacteria. The translational system in eukaryotes (including humans) is larger in size and contains different amounts of RNA and proteins. Tetracyclines such as doxycycline likely do not affect the protein producing ribosomes in humans. The 30S ribosome is similar to that in chloroplasts in plants and in mitochondria in humans. The human mitochondrial DNA encodes 16 polypeptides, all of which are involved in oxidative phosphorylation, which is used for energy production. There is no data that doxycycline interferes with the production of these polypeptides or oxidative phosphorylation.The short answer to your question is that muscles and genetics are likely not affected by doxycycline. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician