I have a terrible keloid scar from my c-section. Will I get a keloid from a transaxillary incision?

I had a child sometime ago, and my c section keloid scar is one of the worst that most doctors have seen. The incision itself was very clean cut and beautiful. The keloid come after about 4 months into the healing. Im extremely nervous about the scarring for my breast augmentation, that it's really making me second guess the procedure. I know scarring is a possibility, it's just how bad?

I Have A Terrible Keloid Scar From My C-Section. Will I Get A Keloid From A Transaxillary Incision?

Keloid scars in one area may or may not indicate that you will get a keloid scar in a second area.  Armpit incisions are the least scarring of all routes of entry for a breast augmentation.  Surgeons who follow Langers Lines in the armpit tend to get less scarring in general.  
To decrease the chance of a keloid or hypertrophic scar in the armpit, a surgeon needs to do delicate surgery and also use a Keller funnel to create less tension on the skin during the implant process.  Multi layered scar closure with early removal of cutaneous sutures also decrease the chance of excessive scar formation.
Of course, if you are prone to hypertrophic and/or keloid scars, the armpit is the best route of entry because no one, not even your mother, has ever intentionally looked in your armpits.  If you do have keloid scarring at 4 months post augmentation as you had with your C-section scar, and if you were my patient, I would use ortho voltage or electron radiation available at many medical centers throughout the Hawaiian Islands.    

Hypertrophic Scar/Keloid -- Pulsed Dye Laser/VBeam, 5fu/steroids, Fraxel/Viva, CO2, Aerolase

If you have a history of keloids, you are at greater risk for developing another keloid after surgery. I would suggest an in person consultation with an expert for evaluation. Keloids and hypertrophic scarring should be treated in a combination approach with lasers along with steroid/5fu injections. Best, Dr. Emer.

Keloid scar treatment

Our office specializes in keloid scars. I would recommend our Hidef Scar Protocol to address the keloids and soften the scar. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Predicting a scar

It is very difficult to predict how a scar will appear. The best indicator are your previous scars. If you have a history of keloids, it is quite possible that you have another one in the transaxillary incision. There are many ways to reduce the risk including tensionless closure, minimal trauma and tissue injury, steroid injections, and silicone sheeting, but there is no gaurantee that you will not have a similar scar in that area. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician