Is there a minimally or moderately invasive treatment that will get rid of bumps under skin and remove acne scars? (Photo)

I am 54 years old, and still have acne. It's mainly a lot of bumps under the skin (that never come to the surface) and clogged pores and blackheads. I use salicylic acid products, retin-A and I exfoliate, but my skin still has a rough texture. I also have some moderate scarring. Is there any laser treatment that will make my skin look smooth, but not shiny and plastic looking? One good thing about oily skin is I don't have a lot of wrinkles, but my skin is beginning to sag. Suggestions?

Acne scar treatments

Thank you for your question. You may want to consider microneedling. This procedure is great for acne scarring and smoothing out the texture of your skin. Generally patients are red for just 24 to 48 hours depending on the depth. It is best to do these in a series of at least 3, depending on the severity of your scarring. Best of luck.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD