Is there any way to get rid of one specific milia forever?

I have one just ONE milia on my cheek.... it's just a small hard bump. I tried squeezing it and it went away for a lil while, but came back on the same spot. Is there any way to remove it for good?? If I go to a dermatologist or a laser center, what can they do to remove it permanently?

Most Milia Easily & Inexpensively Removed

A milium is a hard, visible bump in the skin caused by an underlying blockage of a sebaceous gland. As such, it is quite easy to simply nick the surface of the milium (usually following the administration of a local anesthetic) with a very fine scalpel blade (that typically leaves no scar) and extrude the trapped contents and the cyst wall (the latter being very important for preventing recurrences). The procedure typically takes no more than a minute to perform all told in experienced hands, and the results are immediately gratifying. The surface nick mark typically heals uneventfully without a trace.

A word of caution is in order. Avoid squeezing milia (or larger epidermoid cysts) as doing so can lead to inflammation below the surface. When this happens the cells of the sac wall can become tightly bound to and interwined with the surrounding underlying tissue, a development that can make subsequent attempts at complete removal of the cyst more difficult, lead to a larger bump above the skin surface, and increase the chance of recurrences--something you especially don't want to happen on your face. 

So, avoid the urge to squeeze the milium and instead book an appt with a board certified aesthetic physician to have it properly removed.

Milia on the cheek

Thank you for your question.  It is possible to permanently remove a milia.  A dermatologist can use an 11 blade to nick the surface of the milia and then push the cyst out.  it is considered cosmetic so insurance does not pay for it.  However, it is a quick and easy procedure.  I wish you the best!

Lisa Zaleski-Larsen, DO, FAAD
San Diego Dermatologist

Getting rid of a milia

Milia are generally simple to remove and do not come back although you can develop other ones.  If it is removed and recurs it is likely a cyst and not a milia.  To remove a cyst so that it cant recur generally requires excising it.

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon