15 Year Old Atrophic Scar On Face. Options?

I have an old atrophic scar on my left cheek 1 cm from the corner of the mouth, it has been there for over 15 years, I was told by my dermatologist that complete disappearance can't be obtained and we can only improve its appearance, so what would be the best option/s for me?

Doctor Answers 2

Scar revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your dermatologist is correct but without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to say what should be done in your case. Scars become visible because of unfavorable position, color, texture or topography differences between the scar and surrounding normal skin. Atrophic means loss of normal skin elements. At the extreme end of the atrophic spectrum the only solution is excision of the scar.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Facial Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Depending on what the condition of the scar, there may be a few options to help improve its appearance.  Unfortunately, scars cannot be undone but they can be minimized so that they are less noticeable to the naked eye.  Scars are noticeable for a few reasons: 1) color difference 2) texture and 3) unevenness (e.g. raised/depression) when compared to the adjacent skin.  Please consult with a board certified specialist in the face who can best help you achieve the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.