What procedure would help get rid of my acne scarring? (photos)

I have acne scarring along my cheeks and chin. I used to have cystic acne but it is controlled for the most part now. I also have large pores, and a not so great skin texture. I've included some pictures.

Doctor Answers 2

Acne Scars Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Microneedling is a great option for treating acne scarring. Consult with your nearest practictioner and see what options there are for treatment of your scarring.

Howell Family Physician

Laser + Subcision + PRP

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your photos, your scars look like the box scar and shallow rolling type scars, although box scars predominate. In my experience, the best treatment for this condition is fully ablative laser resurfacing (does not matter whether its erbium or CO2). For the rolling scars that give the wavy look in the skin, this is best approached by subcision followed by implanting PRP or dermal fillers especially in the hollowed out temples. Not only this improves the scarring, it also creates a more youthful look. This approach will require a week's recovery. If patients are downtime averse, which means they can only handle only handle a night or a weekend downtime, then collagen induction treatments with fractional microneedling (whether Dermapen or Infini) and fractional laser resurfacing will work too, as long as they understand that multiple treatments are needed and that each treatment will only bring about little improvement.

Cynthia M. Lopez, MD
Fresno Physician

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.