What surgery will I require for my puffy and large nipples (male)?

My nipples are both extremely puffy, and large, causing a lot of self confidence issues. I'm 25, and they have been like this as long as I can remember in to my early teens. If I rub/stimulate the nipples they will reduce in size to a more reasonable size and less puffy, similar things happen when it's cold. Is this a symptom of gynaecomastia? Want to make sure I book the right appointment to get it sorted, but definitely want a reduction in both areola size and puffyness! I am slim build also.

Doctor Answers 2

What surgery will I require for my puffy and large nipples (male)?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate  as uncomfortable as gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall) from nipple hypertrophy. Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. 

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery. Nipple reduction surgery is indicated to treat nipple hypertrophy.

My best suggestion:  seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews

What surgery will I require for my puffy and large nipples (male)?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your confidence issues related to your puffy nipples.  Without a photograph it is difficult to offer definite advice but enlarged and puffy nipples is a common complaint of men presenting with gynecomastia. I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation for a proper diagnosis and discussion of treatment options.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.