Treatment for Cottage Cheese Skin on my Face?

I thought I'd found the answer but it doesn't really sound like what I have. I have a few milia, but the other thing that I was looking for is the treatment to what looks like 'cottage cheese' skin on my face. And, what can I do about it?

Doctor Answers 2

"Cottage Cheese" skin of the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although there are several alternatives for what you describe - ranging from dermabrasion, to deeper chemical peels, to laser peels, to laser fractional ablation (such as Fraxel re:Pair), in my experience the Fraxel re:Pair has the best track record for the greatest improvement with the greatest amount of safety. For more severe acne scarring it can even be repeated. Although there is some "downtime" - 2-3 days of being red and "raw" but without discomfort and then 2-6 weeks of redness looking like a sunburn), most patients are quite pleased to do this in one stage. The Fraxel re:Store can also be done but requires multiple stages but with minimal down time. Be sure to seek out an experienced board certified physician who has experience in all phases of skin resurfacing (i.e. peels, dermabrasion and lasers) and don't be afraid to ask questions about their experience - the number of procedures they have done of each, the results, see photos and talk with other patients. Dermatologists are not the only physicians and a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon (ENT) could also address your concerns, as long as they have the laser experience.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Cottage cheese skin changes will benefit from Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cottage cheese skin changes often result from a combination of acne scarring, smoking and sun damage. One should start with daily sun protection, smoking cessation, acne treatment by a board-certified dermatologist. Topical retinoid should be part of maintenance therapy. Afterwards, one should seek out an experienced board-certified dermatologist for consideration of Fractional CO2 Laser resurfacing.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.