Silicone Micro-Droplets for Acne Scars?

I've read some reviews that Silicone micro droplets are very risky. I have some rolling atrophic scars that I want to be addressed. My doctor suggested this procedure along with subcision. Should I proceed with the treatment? I'm really nervous of the long-term effects of silicone and is it safe? Thanks!

Silicone microdroplets for acne scars

As a board certified dermatologist I would not recommend silicone injection in the face.  This is off label of any FDA recommendations and any physician (and there are not that many) experienced in this technique will always advise you of this and have you sign extensive consent forms.  The only reason it should be brought up in conversation is when a patient insists on a "permanent" filler.  Also when silicone is used, an ethical board certified physician will use medical grade silicone.  Unscrupulous practitioners, and non physicians often use adulterated substances.  There are many nightmare stories out there concerning the use of "silicone" injections.  

Board certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons have so many effective and ethical treatments available, almost never does the conversation migrate to talk of silicone.  See a board certified specialist, one certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties in plastic, head and neck surgery or dermatology.  Get a second opinion always if something unusual or much less usual is suggested by the "physician," especially if it's their primary recommendation.

Monterey Dermatologic Surgeon

Rolling atrophic scars and the use of Silicone

I don't like silicone at all. I have a general rule if I wouldn't do it for my family and friends then I wouldn't do it for my patients. Silicone can have all sorts of problems. It can grow and grow and disfigure your face. I have seen this many times. I would do filling. We have a unique approach that addresses all types of acne scars through a 5-7 step process that is done in about 2 hours. This was developed over the last 17 years of my experience with acne and the surgical treatment.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone for Acne Scars

Silicone has had many problems associated with it over the years and most physicians no longer use silicone injections.  I prefer Restylane for acne scars combined with lasers such as Fraxel and eMatrix for your type of acne scars.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green