Profraction laser for darker skin tones?

Is it a safe, effective way for me ( African American) to get rid of hyperpigmentation from acne??

No, but tattoo lasers such as Pico or Nano lasers can help.

Do not get Profractional Laser for dark scars (or PIH), use a Q switch laser combined with topical agents to help reduce pigmentation, the use of sunscreen is equally as important. Gentle Q Switch lasers can reduce pigment over a period of several months. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Dermatologist. Brisbane. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Dark acne scars and Melarase

I would suggest Melarase AM and Melarase PM, Melapads, and light chemical peels first for your dark scars.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Profractional laser and African American Skin

I would absolutely tell you not to have profractional laser for areas of hyperpigmentation and African American skin.  A combination of chemical peels and bleaching agents will help you.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green