Best non-laser treatment for mild acne scars? (Photo)

I have two depressed scars on my forehead after completing a round of Accutane. Laser treatment is out of the question because it is too expensive for me as a college student. My skin is good besides these two scars. I also want whatever the treatment is to be permanent. What are my options?

Doctor Answers 8

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This requires a combination approach with lasers, microneedling, skin care, TCA cross for the best results.  Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Micro needling, subcsions and possibly TCA

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hard to say, I think the most cost effective method is micro needling, followed by subcision - dermal filler (with caution in this area). Some smaller scars (but deep) can be addressed with TCA CROSS. 

All the best 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist

Acne scars forehead, limited funds, permanent results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think at least some of the scars are much too wide to consider TCA cross at least in it's traditional high strength.  Using a lower percentage of TCA so as not to risk as much development of a white (hypopigmentated scar) can help as can repeated subscisions that the doctor can do in the office with a local anesthetic.  All these procedures should only be performed by an experienced board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  The lowest price can be the most expensive as it is far more costly to repair a mistake or complication.  If it's too expensive, then rather than shop around I would wait for a time when it is affordable.  Your scars will continue to improve somewhat for a year or so after Accutane.

Christopher Dannaker, DO, FAAD
Monterey Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Depressed scars and no funds to treat the acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In this sutation I would do a deep chemical peel just on those areas. CROSS is the term or Chemical reconstruction of skin scars. Subcision can work but the scars can come back. Microneedling can work but sometimes the results are subtle.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depressed acne scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Micro-needling is probably the least expensive way to improve your depressed acne scars.  Fillers are a great option as well.  Good Luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Depressed scars ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In my opinion, depressed scars need to be raised. The simplest way to raise depressed scars is subcision. Micro-needlingRF with infini is also successful when used alone or combined with subcision. In terms of devices that you can purchase yourself, a simple microneedle roller of .25 millimeters used 2 to 3 times per day can be helpful. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Inexpensive acne scar treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think microneedling is perhaps the least expensive way to help acne scars. It requires 8 treatments or more but is effective. There is minimal downtime and risk associated with this procedure.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Acne Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best suggestion for these scars is to fill them with something such as Restylane to help heal these scars. In the future you might also consider Fraxel or microneedling to help with the surface irregularities. Best, Dr. Green

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.