Chances of Side Effects from Acne Scar Laser Treatment?

Hello, I understand that hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation are possible side effects of laser treatment. How often does that occur even when a patient takes adequate care such as avoiding wind and sun exposure at all costs?

I also know that redness can remain for months after. I am a male with medium skin tone, make-up cover is not a feasible options. How unnatural does the redness appears? Is it possible that I might not have to be concern for that problem?

How do you treat hyperpigmentation in acne scars? PIH

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend Melarase to improve hyperpigmentation as well as Scler-X, a post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation relief complex. Scler-X is an oral supplement that is taken for 3-6 months and longer for maintenance therapy. See link below. 

Acne scar laser treatment

The side effects of laser treatment for acne really depends on the kind of laser you are considering. The Smooth-beam laser for example may only give you mild redness for a day or two, while the fractionated CO2 and Erbium YAG lasers can cause significant redness and crusting, with prolonged redness for weeks. If down-time is not acceptable for you, I would consider a non-ablative treatment such as the fraxel re:store, with minimal down-time or a non-laser option such as saline subcision.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist