I need help with treating my long-term abdominal obesity. Any suggestions?

I am a female and I'm nearly 30. I've had quite a prominent "pot belly" for the last 6 years and I've struggled to reduce the circumference of my waist. I walk briskly for 30 minutes a day (have done so for years) and I try to make good food choices but must admit it's a struggle. I self weigh and measure on and off orginally starting at 93.5cm I managed to get down to just over 90cm (stayed there for a few years) but a recent measurement sadly noticed Im up at 92cm.

Weight loss.

Unfortunately weight loss is more than 95%+ diet.  Exercise just helps to keep your weight where it is.  You need help to restrict your caloric intake until you can get to a new lower weight and then work to mainatin yourself there.  Your weight loss should proceed in a step down fashion.

Cedar Park Family Physician

There is not one clear solution...

Thank you for your inquiry!

Unfortunately, weight loss is like a puzzle. There are many different ways to begin a puzzle and to put a puzzle together. This is due to the many factors such as hormonal imbalances, unhealthy eating habits, and hereditary obesity that may contribute to weight gain/loss. While there isn't an absolute truth or universal rule to weight loss, there are still solutions. I always suggest a balanced diet with the majority of your intake being from lean proteins, green vegetables, and drinking a lot of water throughout the day. You may also need to increase your exercise routine to more heart-challenging workouts such as interval exercises or full body cardio workouts. I hope this answers your questions! 

Dr. Results

How to lose the Pot Belly

Thank you for your question. Weight loss is difficult. It is a combination of diet , exercise and removing psychological cravings. Weight loss is usually 80% diet and 20% exercise. It is very possible that the brisk walking you do is no longer enough. Your body will get use to it. Try adding 2 days of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and weight resistance training. For the diet part, try to eat a clean diet meaning no processed food , no premade , packaged and ready to eat food. Avoid bread, pasta and potatoes. Add greens and protein to every meal. Plans like  Isagenix will help you to cleanse and change your taste buds. The great thing is that you are young and can achieve a normal BMI (body mass index) with a little work. Good luck.