Can I Have Multiple Cosmetic Procedures in One Surgery Session?

E.g. rhinoplasty, tummy tuck, and breast augmentation at the same time

Yes, but it depends on the procedures

In general, it's fine to do multiple procedures at the same time-- but you need to have a detailed discussion with your surgeon as to the details of the procedure, how long it will take, recovery, etc. Some patients are better candidates for this than others, and the plan needs to be individualized to the patient.

Certainly a tummy tuck and breast augmentation together is no problem. The rhinoplasty can be done at the same setting as well or a few weeks before or after the tummy tuck/breast augmentation.

Yes but it depends...

Cosmetic surgical procedures are commonly combined for optimum efficiency and minimizing the numbers of recoveries and anesthetics required for your desired outcome. Breast and abdominal surgeries work very well together for example.

I personally wouldn't do a rhinoplasty at the same time as putting in breast implants. The nose is not a sterile area and surgery on the nose causes bacteria to be released into the blood stream. These can go to the implant and possibly increase the risk of infection. Infected implants have to be removed and replaced months later. Consequently, I would do the rhinoplasty first and the other surgeries a few weeks later.

Safety is of utmost importance.

Multiple cosmetic procedures can be performed often depending on which procedures are to be combined and the overall health of the patient. Many factors need to be considered. Rhinoplasty is often combined with other facial procedures as a chin augmentation or even with some body procedures such as breast augmentation.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Yes, you can have multiple procedures at the same time.

Khet,

Yes, it is very common to have multiple procedures at the same time. However, you must also be cautious that you are having your procedures done by a qualified surgeon. In general, if your procedures can be completed within six hours, then it is reasonable to combine them. However, as the length of surgery increases, then the risk also increases. The procedures which you describe: Rhinoplasty, Tummy Tuck, and Breast Augmentation are reasonable to complete at the same time.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

David Shafer, MD

Use your time off wisely

Many of my patients choose to have two or three procedures done at the same time. Just make sure that you are having surgery done by a "Board Certified Plastic Surgeon" or Facial Plastic Surgeon. That way you know that your safety will be their number one concern. Do your research and ask many questions. If you can ask the Doctors office for referrals from other patients that have had the procedures you are thinking about.

Linda Swanson, MD

Multiple procedures possible but need to be individualized

It is common to do multiple procedures at the same sitting, however one cannot be cavalier about it. Some factors to take into consideration are total expected blood loss, total surface area of surgical fields, total length of surgery and anesthesia time, surgeon fatigue (both mental and physical), expected recovery process not interfering with or compounding each procedure (such as positioning issues, ambulation, or pain with concommitant increase in pain medication requirements), technical aspects of the procedures so blood supply or tension issues do not increase risk of procedure, increased risks of deep veinthrombosis, pulmonary embolism, and pneumonia.

With breast reduction and tummy tucks, it is possible to do both but attention much be paid to technical aspects so undermining and incisions do not compromise blood flow to certain flaps and that landmarks, such as the inframammary fold, do not get distorted or moved significantly that may affect the cosmetic result.

Plan all these procedures carefully with your surgeon and discuss each risk and advantages and disadvantages of combining or separating these procedures. As an original member of the Extreme Makeover show, I routinely performed multiple procedures safely with careful and judious planning. Your board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to guide you as well.

Good luck!

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Multiple procedures at one setting

It is very common to undergo multiple procedures at one setting.  I feel a good analogy is flying in a plane.  Your body does not know the difference if you fly to Chicago or San Francisco, it is one take off and one landing.  So if you are considering multiple procedures, I would do them in one setting.  Typically this does not add to your recovery.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Yes, cosmetic surgery procedures can be combined

Yes. In our practice, we perform facelifts and eyelids in combination with other procedures. It is probably a good idea not to perform more than approximately three operations at one session. The surgical operations should probably not last past five to six hours so as to minimize any postoperative complications.

We typically perform a rhinoplasty, eyelids and facelifts in various combinations along with cheek and chin implants routinely in our practice.

Combining Multiple Such as In a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   
Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor.

If your surgeon feels you are a candidate, it may be possible to add additional procedures such as those you mention. #Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Combining several procedures

It is not uncommon for patients to combine 1 or 2 procedures. However, it depends on many factors. It depends on your overall health, which procedures are going to be combined and how long the surgery will take. During your initial consultation with a Plastic Surgeon you can expect the surgeon to take your medical history and let you know at that time if you are a good candidate for the multiple procedures you are considering.

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon