What Can I Do About Darker Spots From Acne On Brown Skin?

I have have darker spots caused by acne and also many small acnes in the forehead and small scars in the cheeks ... i have brown skin and i'm really feeling desperate about treating what i have and i would love to show some doctors photos about it and they can tell me if i have hope or i'll stick with it for the rest of my life. the photos are really gross and it's been so difficult living with those things. i'll pay anything to get what i have away from me.

Doctor Answers 3

The most cost effective aggressive way to treat dark acne marks is Chemical Peels!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical peels do great in getting rid of dark acne marks for roughly $175-350 per peel on the face and needs anywhere from 2-6 peels at 2 wk intervals.  Prescription bleaching creams and SPF help alot also.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Low Fluence 1064nm Q Switched Laser treatments and M2 products can help you.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dark spots on dark skin presents a special challenge.  Gentle treatments (1-2j/cm2) with the Q Swtiched 1064nm laser (I use the VersaPulse Laser),  daily treatment with M2 products, good sun protection and treatments with the Cosmion Mask and high Super C (Vitamin C) would be very helpful.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Dark spot from acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dark spots, also known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, are very common in acne patients with brown skin.  First, the acne must be addressed.  Brown spots last longer than acne lesions do so if the acne is not controlled there will always be a new spot.  Many acne treatements, such as topical retinoids, azeleic acid, and chemical peels are also helpful in the treatment of dark spots.  Bleaching creams with hydroquinone or brightening agents can also help.  It sounds like you need to see a board-certified dermatologist to get on a treatment plan.

Dina Strachan, MD    NYC dermatologist   212-627-1004 x 1

Dina D. Strachan, MD
New York Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.