Was my lip stitched together incorrectly? (Photo)

I had a serious bike accident a year ago and tore my lip through and through from the lip to around half an inch down. The entirety of the left side of my face took a serious hit. The lip now hangs down and is considerably swollen as well as the top lip being swollen too. Is it possible that it was re attached incorrectly? And is there also anything that can be done to fix the asymmetry? Also, will my lips ever go down swelling wise? Thank you for your help.

Lasers and Plato's Scar Serum for a lip scar

I would suggest a combination of Plato's Scar Serum and lasers to soften your scars. The swelling may subside. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Lip asymmetry, filler

Hi, thank you for your question. Following an accident such as yours, it's not uncommon to have some scar tissue that may pull slightly at the free border of the lip (it looks like you had a good surgical result but even then if the scar involved the edge of the lip it may lead to some asymmetry).  Swelling can last many months. If you feel your lips are still swollen you should follow-up with the physician who treated you for evaluation.  Filler injections may help to correct the mild asymmetry on your top lip.

Jennifer Chwalek, MD